Views:1 Author:Site Editor Publish Time: 2020-03-15 Origin:Site
XLPE is cross linked polyethylene material and PVC stands for polyvinyl chloride insulation. Both XLPE cable and PVC cable are the most popular cables. While sometimes we need to make a right choice between the two insulated cables especially when we need to choose a kind of Low voltage (0.6/1kv) Cables in a project. Therefore, it is of vital importance to differentiate XLPE cable and PVC cable.
Advantages of XLPE cable
Disadvantages of Polyvinyl Chloride
The difference between XLPE cable and PVC cable
With the change in structure, the XLPE derives superior electrical properties. XLPE cables also have higher overloading capacity under emergency conditions. XLPE cables are ideal for transmission and distribution of power because it has high corrosion resistance under polluted atmosphere along with better resistance power against chemicals and corrosive alkalis. Besides, it can withstand vibration and hot impacts
The XLPE insulation will not melt or drip, even at the temperatures of soldering irons, and it has increased flow resistance and improved ageing characteristics. Improved water-tree resistance is another benefit of XLPE insulation for LV cables and MV cables over PE insulations.
Polyvinyl Chloride has very poor heat stability. Usually additives which stabilize the material at higher temperatures are typically added to the material during production, which makes the production process more complicated.
Apart from that, Polyvinyl Chloride emits toxic fumes when melted and/or subject to a fire, which may cause some dangers for the users.
1. Maximum working temperature of conductor: XLPE Cables have higher current rating and longer service life compared to PVC Cables. PVC insulated Cable is 70 Centigrade while XLPE is 90 Centigrade.
2. Maximum short (lasting less than 5 seconds) temperature: PVC insulated Cable is 160 Centigrade while XLPE is 250 Centigrade under short circuit condition.
3. also has 100 times more moisture resistance capacity compared to PVC.
4. Service life: Usually, the XLPE insulated cable is longer than PVC insulated cable.
5. Price: Usually, the XLPE insulated cable price is higher than PVC insulated cable.
6. Waterproof Performance in Application Environment: PVC insulated cable is better than the XLPE insulated cable.
7. Environment Protection aspect: For XLPE is not containing chlorine which will release toxic gases once burn, so XLPE insulated Cable is environment friendly compared with PVC insulated Cable.
The main difference between the two is that XLPE can be used for both high-and-low tension applications. Its structure provides great resistance to abrasion, stress, and other wear and tear. PVC insulation cannot withstand as much pressure, meaning it is only suitable for low tension applications.
In a long run, the XLPE insulated Cable is better than PVC insulated Cable, although the price is a little higher. However, if we take all factors into consideration, XLPE insulated cable has a high cost-performance.
People’s Cable Group is the developer, manufacturer, sales provider of high-quality XLPE cables. With a long history of production, we have confidence in providing you with satisfying products with competitive prices. If you have any questions about our cables, please feel free to contact us. We will give you a response in time.
Mob:+86-156 3908 6804
Tel: +86-371-5563 2827
Room 1203, Building 4, East International Plaza, No. 85 Jinshui Road, Zhengdong New Area, Zhengzhou City, Henan Province, Zhengzhou, Henan, China
Copyright © 1987-2020 People’s Cable Group Co.,Ltd.